Lace Squared – Pop-up Bar and Performance Space
Call for Participants
In collaboration with the Creative Quarter Company (CQ) and New College Nottingham (NCN), and Bildurn Properties, Experience Squared Ltd are creating a pop-up bar and events space to be known as Lace Squared in Lace Market Square, Nottingham (NG1 1PB), incorporating the ground floor of the Pavilion Building (currently operating as Eve’s Café).
The pop-up will run from Thursday 14 August to Sunday 14 September 2014, Thursday to Sunday only.
There will be a number of key elements:
- An outside bar serving cocktails, beer, wines and a selection of soft drinks
- A barbecue stall serving a range of smoked meats, vegetarian treats and sides
- A covered area with seating, made from recycled materials
- The centre of the Square as a flexible space for entertainment , markets and other events
- The indoor bar as an evening venue, with a small performance space.
- There will be major daytime weekend events in the Square during each weekend that the pop-up is in operation (1200 to 1800, except the Food Market, 0900 to 1300):
- Craft [Makers] Market
- Bank Holiday Weekend Entertainment
- Art Market
- Food Market
- Vintage Market
- Saturday morning children’s entertainment (1000 to 1200) in the Square
- Early evening weekend entertainment (1900 to 2100) in the Square
- Late evening weekend entertainment (2100 to 2300) indoors
- Early evening weekday entertainment (1900 to 2100) in the Square
- Late evening weekday entertainment (2100 to 2300) indoors
In addition, there will be opportunities for artists to use the space surrounding the centre of the Square for exhibiting existing works or creating new ones.
Call for participants
Experience Squared are calling for expressions of interest for participation in one or more of the Pop-up Events.
For daytime weekend events, further details are given below.
We have deliberately left open the types of evening entertainment for which expressions of interest are being sought. However, our current thoughts on programming would embrace:
- Music – acoustic/light amplification, genres:
- Acapella Groups
- Short plays
- Street Performance
|Event||Dates||Types of participation (suggestions only)|
|Makers’ Market||16/17 August||Textiles, Ceramics, Metalwork, Jewellery, Photography, Audio-visual, Video Games|
|Entertainment Weekend||23/25 August||Punch and Judy Storytelling, Street performers, Theatre, Site Specific Art, Comedians, Carnival|
|Art Market||30/31 August||Painting (all styles)Sculpture|
|Food Market||6/7 September||Farmers, Cooks, Restaurateurs, Sale of produce, Cookery demonstrations, Book signings|
|Vintage Market||13/14 September||Vintage clothing, Sale and purchase, Vintage or kitsch items, Vintage posters, Vintage records, Specialist vintage collectors|
- Market stalls will be provided at a cost of £15 per day
- Outdoor performers will perform on a voluntary basis but will be provided with a drink and food, and will be permitted to ‘put a cap out’ busking-style. Indoor performers will receive a fee. Please indicate what your fee would be on your proposal. Please be aware that we have a limited budget for this test period and we will not be in a position to pay fees above a level of £75 for an evening performance.
- Expressions of interest should be submitted by email to email@example.com (copied to firstname.lastname@example.org) by 1700 on Friday 15th August.
- The following information should be included:
- A brief CV showing your experience relevant to proposed participation (reference to website material may suffice)
- Links to website containing image and videos of our performances / products, etc
- The event(s) for which you wish to be considered
- How you are interested in participating? (Eg, for the Maker’s Market, what kind of product would you be bringing, would you be offering a demonstration of relevant techniques, etc; for musical entertainment, genre, instruments, etc)
- Submissions will then be assessed by Experience Squared and Creative Quarter and you will be informed over the weekend of 9th August that you will be part of the programme.
- We will then discuss with successful applicants the details of their participation (eg, dates/times) and draw up a detailed programme.
|Final date for submission of expressions of interest||1700 15th August|
|Advisory panel assess submissions||Evening 15th August|
|Applicants notified||9 & 10 August|
|Discussions with successful applicants||Week commencing 11 August|
|Outline programme available||12 August|
|Detailed programme published weekly in advance||From 13 August onwards|
The decision Experience Squared and Creative Quarter about expressions of interest are final, and there is no right of appeal.
If you have any queries about your submission, please phone Sam Allison (Experience Squared) 07799770265 or email email@example.com